Women of Color Zine Symposium, June 2012
Creative fun with women of color artists who publish magazine/comics of minority interest
May 24, 2012Saturday, June 2nd, 2012, 9:30am-3pm, Portland State University, Smith Memorial Student Union (2nd floor), 1825 SW Broadway, Portland, OR 97201
The event is free and open to the public. All allies are welcomed to attend! The event is funded in part by the Regional Arts & Culture Counci and co-sponsored by the Women’s Resource Center at Portland State University. To read more about it click here: http://bit.ly/HX5JQj
A zine is a small circulation self-published work of minority interest usually reproduced via photocopier.
The day will consist of tabling of zines, an open mic and raffle session, a workshop lead by LaMesha Melton (creator of Cocoa/Puss zine), and end with a performance from local female/multi-cultural hip-hop group, RoseBent.
Please join us for a free day of creative fun with women of color artists. We hope to see you there!
The image people have of Portland is mainly based on the white majority who live here - 76.1 % of the population, according to the 2011 U.S. Census. But the other 23.9%, the other Portland, they have a voice too. And the Women of Color Zine (WOC) group is one of the ways that other voice can be heard. The WOC Zine group has published two issues of their zine collective “Women of Color: How to Live in the City of Roses and Avoid the Pricks." Issue one is about navigating racism/gentrification in Portland; issue two focused on fashion and art of WOC in Portland. Both issues are available for $3 from the group, Powell’s Bookstore and In Other Words. The zines can also be checked out from the Multnomah County Library.
While the event is zine focused, WOC zinesters are allowed to display/sell other DIY products (buttons, postcards, etc). We only ask you not to sell any food items. Tabling is on a first come, first served basis. We are offering half tables for a fee of $10. If you have questions regarding tabling and register by PayPal click here: http://bit.ly/HX5JQj
If you would like to volunteer, table, or have any questions please contact us:
PO Box 40082
Portland, OR 97240